Reposted from GLAAD.org
MOONLIGHT, PATRICIA ARQUETTE, TROYE SIVAN, TRANSPARENT AND MORE HONORED AT 28TH ANNUAL GLAAD MEDIA AWARDS IN LOS ANGELES AT THE BEVERLY HILTON
World’s Largest LGBTQ Awards Show to be Broadcast Exclusively on Logo on Thursday, April 6 at 10pm ET
LOS ANGELES, CA – GLAAD Media Award recipients were announced in 12 of this year’s 32 media categories at the 28th Annual GLAAD Media Awards, presented by Delta Air Lines, Hilton, Ketel One Vodka, Liberty Mutual Insurance, and Wells Fargo at the Beverly Hilton in Los Angeles on Saturday night.
The 28th annual GLAAD Media Awards will air on Logo this Thursday, April 6th at 10:00 PM ET/PT, after the world broadcast premiere of “Strike A Pose.”
At the event, celebrities sported blue “&” pins for GLAAD’s Together movement – representing GLAAD’s work on intersectional issues including immigration, racial justice, women’s rights, and LGBTQ acceptance. This subtle yet powerful symbol represents the power of solidarity and great accomplishments that occur when marginalized community groups – including women, Muslims, immigrants, and LGBTQ people – resist together.
Following is a complete list of GLAAD Media Awards presented on stage, and the individuals that accepted the awards (accepters tentative):
- Vanguard Award: Patricia Arquette
- Stephen F. Kolzak Award: Troye Sivan
- Outstanding Film – Wide Release: Moonlight (A24) [accepted by: Tarell Alvin McCraney and Trevante Rhodes]
- Outstanding Drama Series: Shadowhunters (Freeform) [accepted by: Matthew Daddario and Harry Shum Jr.]
- Outstanding Comedy Series: Transparent (Amazon) [accepted by: creator Jill Soloway with stars Alexandra Billings, Jeffrey Tambor, Judith Light, Amy Landecker, Jay Duplass, and Trace Lysette, and producers Zackary Drucker and Rhys Ernst]
The following is a list of other award recipients announced at the 28th Annual GLAAD Media Awards in Los Angeles:
- Outstanding Film – Limited Release: Other People (Vertical Entertainment
- Outstanding TV Movie or Limited Series: Eyewitness (USA Network)
- Outstanding Individual Episode: “San Junipero” Black Mirror (Netflix)
- Outstanding Daily Drama: The Bold and The Beautiful (CBS)
- Outstanding Comic Book: The Woods, written by James Tynion IV (BOOM! Studios)
GLAAD previously announced that it was acknowledging two web series, Her Story (HerStoryShow.com) and We’ve Been Around (WeveBeenAround.com), and music video “Sin Ir Más Lejos” by Gema Corredera, with Special Recognition Awards.
- Outstanding Music Artist: Kany García, Limonada (Sony Music Latin)
- Outstanding Local TV Journalism: “A la calle por quien soy” Noticias 34 (KMEX-Univision 34 [Los Ángeles])
- Outstanding Newspaper Article: “Las discretas batallas LGBTI ganadas en Guatemala” by Sonia Pérez D. (Associated Press)
- Outstanding Digital Journalism Article: “6 mujeres transgénero exitosas que rompen moldes en América Latina” by Leire Ventas (BBCMundo.com)
Additional awards will be presented at the GLAAD Media Awards event at the New York Hilton Midtown in New York on Saturday, May 6.
The GLAAD Media Awards recognize and honor media for their fair, accurate and inclusive representations of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) community and the issues that affect their lives. They also fund GLAAD’s work to amplify stories from the LGBTQ community that build support for equality and acceptance. GLAAD Media Award nominees were published, released, or broadcast between January 1, 2016 and December 31, 2016.
To receive the latest updates on the GLAAD Media Awards, follow @glaad on Twitter and use the hashtag #glaadawards.
GLAAD rewrites the script for LGBTQ acceptance. As a dynamic media force, GLAAD tackles tough issues to shape the narrative and provoke dialogue that leads to cultural change. GLAAD protects all that has been accomplished and creates a world where everyone can live the life they love. For more information, please visit www.glaad.org or connect with GLAAD on Facebook and Twitter.